November 25, 2014
As November is coming to an end, we decided to take this opportunity and look back at everything we accomplished as a community in the last 30 days. Instead of our regular weekly update, today we’re bringing you a monthly recap of all the exciting news and activities involving our team, our technology and our community.
From the Team
We started off by hiring a General Manager, Ivana Zuber, to help with everyday business development, marketing, product management, and support activities. We also opened a new position – Generalist Software Developer and are actively looking for a candidate to join our team. This position is still available, so if you think you have the skills and the knowledge, or know someone who does, be sure to contact Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next, we put out a 125 XCP bounty for the Counterwallet Russian translation. If you’d like to perform this task, please apply to the Russian language section on Transifex as a translator. The first person that completes the translation will receive 100 XCP while the first person that completes the review of the translation will receive 25 XCP.
Another exciting event this month was the celebration of the 100,000th transaction on the Counterparty network. On November 11th, we reached this major milestone and are seeing an increasing number of transactions on a daily basis. We would like to thank our community once again for all their support and contribution, for taking part in our mission to become the world’s most advanced peer-to-peer financial platform.
Finally, on November 17th we held an AMA on the Bitcoin subreddit and had a great time discussing all things Counterparty. Summary of the AMA can be found in our Top 10 Q&A post, so in case you missed our answers be sure to check out that post.
From the Web
With all the recent news and announcements there has been a lot of mention of Counterparty across the web. For those who missed our weekly updates, here is a list of the most relevant Counterparty articles from news outlets:
Wall Street Journal – BitBeat: The Promise (and Limits) of Overstock’s Crypto Stock Exchange
Upstart Business Journal – Overstock.com bitcoin partner embraces ‘Foundation’ status
Wall Street Journal – Bitcoin 2.0 Firm Counterparty Adopts Ethereum’s Software
Venture Beat – The 2 biggest emerging opportunities in cryptocurrency
CryptoCoinNews – Ethereum Cloning: Ethereum Comments, Counterparty Responds
Brave New Coin – Counterparty Is Fast Becoming The Go To For Bitcoin Finance
CoinTelegraph – Counterparty Adds Ethereum Smart Contract Features
CryptoCoinNews – Counterparty Recreates Ethereum On Bitcoin
Bitcoin Business – Three Reasons Why Counterparty is good for Bitcoin & Ethereum
CoinBrief – It’s About the Blockchain, Not Bitcoin
CryptoCoinNews – THE MARCH OF COUNTERPARTY – HIGHLIGHTS FROM REDDIT AMA
From the Community
Our forums and social media channels have seen a steady growth in the number of followers and discussions, with a lot of valuable information being published daily by our community members. If you haven’t already, be sure to join our forum at forums.counterparty.io and follow us on social media to be up to date with the latest Counterparty news.
For the monthly summary, we chose the following community discussions:
Top Counterparty Projects – forum thread dedicated to discussing most exciting projects built on top of Counterparty.
Novel uses for Counterparty – forum thread discussing possible uses of Counterparty features.
XCP Price Speculation – discussion about XCP price speculation
Private keys import and export – explanation of using private key import/export functions in Counterwallet
Counterparty Recreates Ethereum’s Smart Contract Platform on Bitcoin – our forum discussion dedicated to sharing resources and news about the smart contract technology
List of Open Counterparty bounties – forum thread with an up-to-date list of open Counterparty bounties.
Node Incentivization with Counterparty Smart Contracts Platform – forum discussion on Counterparty Smart Contracts feature
Is Counterparty ideal for sending small amounts of bitcoin around? – forum thread discussing Counterparty transactions
Decentralized Trustless Sentinels – discussion on Counterparty broadcast feature
Would a “Validate asset” feature in Counterwallet be useful? – discussion on adding asset validation in Counterwallet
Counterparty 2015 – Reddit thread on r/Bitcoin packed with interesting discussions on Counterparty
Question about how smart contracts work – Reddit thread on r/CounterpartyXCP discussing smart contracts
Without a doubt, the most exciting news this month came from our development team. There has been a lot of innovation and progress, both in terms of protocol development and software feature implementation. Here’s a quick summary of November development updates:
- Added Ethereum Smart Contract Features – we have successfully ported Ethereum Project’s programming language and virtual machine over to the Counterparty platform and enabled the execution of Turing Complete Ethereum code directly on the Bitcoin blockchain. The implementation passed 100% of pyethereum’s contract execution integration tests and is ready to be used on Bitcoin testnet.
- Implemented the Creation of No-Fee ‘Human-Unreadable’ Asset Names – We enabled the creation of ‘human-unreadable’ asset names whose registration is free. This feature is currently available on counterpartyd and Counterwallet testnet (develop).
- Added support for Multisignature Addresses in Counterwallet – We have enabled full multisig support in Counterwallet. You can create multisignature addresses, view their balances, create transactions and sign them within the wallet. These features are currently available only in develop on testnet.
- Added BountySource Support to GitHub Repositories – We have integrated BountySource with all our GitHub repositories. Below each issue on GitHub you can find a link to the bounty while all issues currently available on BountySouce can be found on the Counterparty team issues page.
- Enabled Czech and Chinese support in Counterwallet – Counterwallet now supports Chinese and Czech, and we are working on adding several more languages soon.
- Disabled web-wallet BTC trading – After consulting with the community we have disabled BTC trading in Counterwallet to better focus our efforts on developing a novel trading system. For more information about this change read our Development Update.
- Removed Buy XBTC option from Counterwallet – As requested by vennd.io, we have disabled Buy XBTC option in Counterwallet. For news about this update follow our forum thread Quick Buy Update from vennd.io.
- Added coveralls support in counterpartyd for test coverage and statistics
- Improved our API documentation
- Released new version of counterpartyd – v9.46
- Added Bootstrap Database download progress indicator in counterpartyd_build and reduced the bootstrap size to 100MB
Our support team has been busy writing new documentation and resolving emerging issues on our support channel. We have 13 new support articles and are working on a comprehensive Developers Guide, which will contain all the information about Counterparty technology and software.
Here’s a list of the recent knowledge base articles:
That concludes our monthly update. As we move forward, we will continue to provide weekly community and developer updates and keep you up to date with all the news and changes involving our project. Therefore, be sure to subscribe to our weekly newsletter at the bottom of this page to receive these updates via email.